Yes, you read that correctly and before you assume I'm being selfish or spent 2016 depressed; please don't.
2016 was a wide-opening year. I wouldn't call it a bad or terrible year because I try to refrain myself from using negativity when speaking. In 2016 I kind of lost touch of exactly what I wanted to accomplish and achieve; including with my blog. I allowed people, who I thought were friends, get in my ear and make me doubt myself. The saddest thing was giving up on my blog but because of the words said by these people, I became discouraged and constantly questioned myself. This also occurred with my career. I allowed myself to become negative, my confidence to be hidden, and to be embarrassed of my goals and the dreamer characteristic that so strongly overpowers my mind and heart.
Let me take a moment and list the great things that occurred in 2016 because I don't want this post to be a list of terrible things. 2016 introduced me to some lovely people. 2016 gave me a promotion at work. 2016 helped me realize what the career path I want to follow. In 2016 my brother and sister-in law are expecting a baby boy; nephew #2 for me and I can't wait to meet him in 2017. 2016 was the year that helped me prepare for 2017 being an amazing year.
Every year I make a list with 5 to 10 goals or things I plan on changing in the New Year. This year the only item on my list is to "be happier." I actually decided on this a few months ago and it was all thank you to my three year-old nephew. When he sees someone upset he will tell you "Be Happy." That is when I realized, being happy is as simple as those two little words.
Happiness may seem like a vague but it is the best term to describe the things I plan on accomplishing this year.
- Working out more? Yes, but because it makes me feel happier and more energized not because people think I need to lose weight.
- Eat healthier? Well maybe but I appreciate a good meal so no I am not giving up tacos any time soon but I will be adding more greens to my meals because in the words of Gigi Hadid, "Eat clean to stay fit, eat a burger to stay fit."
- Be more present? I've learned more from conversations with people when my phone was nowhere in sight.
- Travel more because how am I supposed to find where I belong without seeing all the beautiful cities that are out there.
This doesn't mean that if one day I want to sleep in instead of waking up at 5:30am for the gym, I won't do it. If i want to eat tacos instead of a salad because I've had a long day, I will. It is all about balance.
I am working on making sure I am happier by adding the following to my 2017 agenda:
- Traveling to London this Spring with one of my best friend because London is my favorite city (from the cities I've visited so far)
- Going back to school for my Masters because one of the most common sentences I tell people when school comes up is "I miss the learning part of college"
- Less arguing, more complimenting (because sometimes arguing is a waste of time and you will only end up being upset and with an unresolved situation)
This year make sure to laugh a little more, dance a little more, sing a little louder, and just ENJOY LIFE A LITTLE MORE.
Moving into the New year I just want everyone to focus on being happier, more present, showing more love and making sure the world is a happier place. I read a quote this week and it is perfect for this year's focus: "Sometimes happiness is a feeling, sometimes it is a decision." So make sure you wake up every morning saying "today I choose to be happy!"
Happy New Year! I hope page 1 of 365 of book 2017 is just an amazing start to this magnificent year!